If you own a die cut machine, you may have the option of using 3rd party software with your machine. Third party die cutting software may provide new features or ease of use that the vendor software doesn’t provide. Many of these software packages are free to try. These free versions often leave a diagonal cut through the material to serve as a “watermark” until the product is purchased.
TIP: Although these software packages do not support Cricut machines, you can still create designs using the software and import the design into the Cricut software.
Make The Cut
Make the Cut (MTC) is a piece of die cutting software that has been around for a very long time. It was first designed to work with Cricut machines, but has due to legal issues, it is no longer available for the Cricut. The good news is, the software works with a variety of other cutting machines, including all Klic-N-Kut models, Pazzles Inspiration, BossKut Gazelle, Black Cat Cougar/Lynx, CraftWell’s eCraft, and the Silhouette SD, Cameo, and Portrait.
- WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) interface
- Use Any Installed Font or Import TTF/OTF Files
- Import Any GSD, WPC, AI9, PS, EPS, SVG, TTF, OTF, PDF or SCUT File
- Export shapes in PDF, SVG, EPS, AI, JPG and PNG formats
- Break/Split/Layer and Weld/Join Shapes
- Multiple cutting mat sizes
- …And tons of other features
Sure Cuts a Lot
Sure Cuts a Lot (SCAL) is another popular die cut machine software that can work with a variety of die cut machines. It does not work with Cricut machines, but does work with the following machines:
- Black Cat Cougar/Lynx
- BossKut Gazelle
- Craftwell eCraft
- Pazzles Inspiration/Pro/Vue
- Silhouette SD/CAMEO/Portrait
- Silver Bullet
- USCutter Copam/LaserPoint/MH/PCUT/SC/TC/TITAN
- Vinyl Express
Here are some of the software features:
- WYSIWYG Interface
- Works with your installed TrueType and OpenType fonts, as well as thousands of free fonts available on the Internet.
- Import various file formats, including SVG, PDF, EPS, AI, WPC (PRO Version can also import PLT, DXF)
- Auto tracing features to automatically convert images for cutting
- Drawing tools to draw and edit shapes
- Weld letter and shapes together
- Select styles, including Shadow & Blackout, to change the look of your letters and shapes with just a few clicks
- Includes over 200 built in shapes
- …and tons more features
Download the demo from Craft Edge.
Inkscape is a professional, open source graphics editor for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. It’s completely free.
Visit Inkscape.org to download.